Family Tree Maker Update
for Windows Vista Users
This update is intended for people who are using Family
Tree Maker 2005, 2006 or 16 on a Windows Vista computer.
If you are not
using Windows Vista you do not need to download this update.
Please Note: There is no Windows Vista compatibility
update for Family Tree Maker 11 and earlier. If you plan on using Family Tree
Maker on a computer with Windows Vista we recommend that you purchase
the latest version of Family Tree Maker.
- Download the Vista Compatibility update by clicking here
and save it to your desktop.
- Double-click the FTMVistaUpdater.msi file on your desktop
to launch the update installer.
- After clicking the FTMVistaUpdater.msi file you will see the
- Click “Run.”
- The FTMVistaUpdater Setup Wizard will launch. Click “Next”
to continue the installation.
- The next screen will allow you to select an installation
folder. It is important to install the update to the same folder where
Family Tree Maker is installed. Please confirm that the correct folder
is selected and then click “Next.”
Please Note: If you are using
a version prior to Family Tree Maker 16, the folder may display as “C:\” or something similar. Do NOT
install the update in that folder. You must install the update to the folder
where Family Tree Maker was installed or the update will not work.
Locating the install folder
To determine where Family Tree
Maker is installed:
minimize the FTMVistaUpdater Setup Wizard.
right-click on the FTM icon on your desktop or on the start menu.
left-click on Properties.
highlight all the text in the Start in field (this is where FTM is
installed) and press Ctrl+C to copy the information in the "Start in" field, then click "Cancel" to close
the Family Tree Maker Properties window.
switch back to the FTMVistaUpdater program by clicking its icon in
erase the text “C:\” (or whatever it shows).
paste what you copied into the Folder field in the screen shown above by
erase the quotations at the beginning and at the end of the location.
- Click “Next.” You will receive the following confirmation
- Click “Next” to confirm the installation. After the update
has successfully installed on your computer you will receive an
installation complete screen.
- Click “Close.”
- Important: Before running Family Tree Maker for the
first time after the update is installed you must run the program as
administrator. If you do not have rights to run a program as administrator
you must contact your systems administrator in order to complete the update
To run the program as administrator:
- right-click on your Family Tree Maker icon
- select the “Run as administrator” option
- Microsoft Vista will open a window asking you to confirm
that Family Tree Maker should run as administrator
- Click “Allow.”
- Family Tree Maker will load normally and the update process
is now complete. It will not be necessary to right-click the Family Tree
Maker icon and select “Run as administrator” when you launch Family Tree
Maker in the future.
- You may now delete the update file on the Desktop by right-clicking on the
FTMVistaUpdater.msi icon and choosing "Delete" with a left-click. Click "Yes" on
the delete confirmation window.
Microsoft Vista includes new security features which block
Family Tree Maker from allowing you to preview a book unless Family Tree Maker is
running as administrator. If you would like to preview a book you must either
launch Family Tree Maker as administrator by following the instructions
outlined in step 10 above or permanently set Family Tree Maker to run as
If you would like to set FTM to always run as
- Right-click on the Family Tree Maker icon and use the
left-mouse button to select Properties. The following screen will
- Click the “Shortcut” tab.
- Click the “Advanced” button near the bottom of the
window. An “Advanced Properties” window will appear.
- In the “Advanced Properties” dialog click the “Run as
administrator” checkbox and then click “OK.”
Please be aware that
Microsoft Vista will ask you to confirm that you would like to run Family
Tree Maker as administrator every time the application is launched.
- Click "OK" again to dismiss the Family Tree Maker Properties window.
- You will now be able to preview PDF books from within
Family Tree Maker.