Frequently Asked Questions
Software MacKiev is delighted to be publishing the most widely used and most beloved family tree software of all time.
- When will the new Family Tree Maker 2017 start shipping?
- We plan to release FTM 2017 on March 31, 2017. The new edition has new technology for connecting Family Tree Maker to Ancestry which we call FamilySync — which allows an Ancestry tree to be synced with multiple computers running FTM. Other new features include integration with FamilySearch, color coding and a digital editing tool that can restore faded photos. To learn more, and get a discount offer to upgrade, make sure you have signed up for the mailing list at www.familytreemaker.com.
- I already own a Software MacKiev edition. Do I need to get FTM 2017?
- If you use the features that connect Family Tree Maker to Ancestry, then you will want to upgrade to FTM 2017. That includes syncing, Ancestry hints, and Ancestry search and merge functionality. After the end of March, no other FTM editions will have this functionality.
- I own an older version of Family Tree Maker. Can I get a discount on an upgrade?
- Yes! You can currently pre-order an upgrade to FTM 2017 for $29.95. For more information, make sure you are on the FTM Mailing List which you can sign up for at www.familytreemaker.com.
- Do I need to purchase a new Ancestry.com subscription to use Software MacKiev versions of Family Tree Maker?
- No, you do not need to purchase a new subscription to Ancestry.com. That’s because we have not started over but rather picked up where Ancestry.com left off.
- Where is Family Tree Maker sold?
- Family Tree Maker is available worldwide through our online store. Click here to purchase it now. In the UK, FTM is also sold by My History, and it will be available soon through selected genealogy resellers in Canada and Australia.
- Will Software MacKiev be supporting FamilySearch?
- Yes. We have integrated FamilySearch hints (matches), search, and merge into our upcoming FTM 2017 edition.
- What is happening with TreeSync®? I heard it was being discontinued.
- That's correct. TreeSync will be discontinued on March 29th and will be replaced by new technology co–developed by Ancestry and Software MacKiev. The new technology, which we call FamilySync, has been incorporated into FTM 2017, which will be available at the end of March as well. So no need to worry. Syncing with your Ancestry tree, Ancestry hints and Ancestry search are all here to stay. For more about the transition to FTM 2017, go to support.familytreemaker.com and enter “FTM 2017” in the search field.
- Do I need to re-register with Software MacKiev?
- No, you do not need to re-register with Software MacKiev, unless you are a resident of a country in the European Union in which case you should re-register by clicking here. All users should, however, sign up for the FTM Mailing List to find out about new product introductions, free updates and discounted upgrades. Click here to sign up now.
- What about the Family Book Creator plugin by Stefan Harms? Is it compatible with the new versions?
- Yes! Stefan Harms has developed a free update for his Family Book Creator (FBC) for FTM 2017. More details can be found here.
- Where should FTM users go for technical support?
- Software MacKiev now supports all versions of Family Tree Maker. If you are having a technical problem, please start here: support.familytreemaker.com.
- I am moving to a new computer. If I purchase an upgrade, will I need to install my old FTM copy on the new computer before upgrading?
- No. If you are a registered user of an older version of Family Tree Maker, you will get a freestanding installer for your new computer so the old version will not need to be present.
- I've installed a new Software MacKiev version. Do I need to keep the old version?
- No. Once you have installed the new software, you can safely remove or uninstall your old edition if you like, though if you keep it, we recommend you move it to a different folder or to an external drive so that you don't start working on the old version by mistake.
- Will versions of Family Tree Maker be available in other languages?
- We are currently reviewing the possibility of producing localized editions, for which we have had many requests. Click here to request that we make a new language edition. You will be notified if and when an edition of Family Tree Maker for your country or language is released.
Family Pack Upgrade
Please select your location.